Nothing says comfort food to me like my mother’s chicken curry. She can probably make it with her eye’s closed. It’s pretty much staple food at the Rodrigo residence and if I could eat this every night for dinner, I would.
- 1 kg skinless chicken (cut into medium size pieces
- 2 onions sliced
- 3 – 4 tomatoes sliced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of red chilli powder
- 2 tsps of jeera powder
- 2 tbs of ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp of turmeric powder
- 1 tsp of sombu powder (saunf or aniseed)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbs of oil (method (2) 1/4 cup of oil)
- 1 cup of water
- 1 lime ( take out the juice and keep it
I have 2 methods for cooking this. When I cook by the first method I use less oil. When I cook by the second method I use 1/4 cup of oil…………then I fry all the ingredients in oil and then add the chicken and cook it. But now I am writing the first method.
Put ingredients numbers 2 to 11 in a pressure cooker and cook for 12 to 15 minutes. Release the pressure and open the cooker. Add the pieces of chicken and cook in the cooker itself without putting the cooker lid. Use a normal lid. When the chicken is cooked remove from the gas and add the lime juice. Serve in a deep bowl and garnish with mint leaves and coriander leaves.